Friday, January 18, 2013

Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana Soup

I've been making this forever. My whole family loves it. I usually serve it with crusty bread and nice salad. Jimmy loves to take the left-overs to work (it's even better the next day)! I modified this recipe from one I found on Food.com. It is lower in fat and calories. I use 2% milk instead of cream. I also use spinach instead of kale and turkey sausage instead of pork sausage.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound of turkey sausage
  • 3 large red potatoes, skin on
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup bacon bits
  • 2 cups chicken broth (I use 2 bouillon cubes in 2 c. of water)
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 bag of spinach leaves
  • 1 cup 2% milk or heavy whipping cream (if you prefer)

Directions
  1. Brown sausage in your soup pot (I use a Dutch oven).
  2. Transfer to plate; set aside.
  3. Add the 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 quart of water to pot and stir.
  4. Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in pot.
  5. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
  6. Add sausage back to pot along with bacon bits.
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Simmer for another 10-12 minutes.
  9. Turn to Low heat and add milk and spinach leaves.
  10. Cover to wilt spinach, about 5-7 more minutes.
  11. Serve and enjoy!

XOXO, Candice
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment